Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Unexpected Visitor

OK, so blogging is weird.  Well, let’s qualify that statement.  Blogging is weird when one doesn’t know what one is doing.  What is this blog supposed to accomplish?  Is there a theme?  Is there a goal?  Is it just a vehicle for one poor woman to unload her rambling musings on the world?  How much of one’s personal life should be exposed?  Why should anyone want to read this thing?  Is anyone reading this thing? 
Well, I don’t have the answers to the above questions, but I do feel better after sharing them.  (With whom, I don't know, 'cause I think I'm the only one reading this blog.)  It does feel good to vent though....
So tonight the last child in our home (who’s turning 21 on Saturday), comes in at 10:30 at night when The Man and I are reading, talking and trying to relax, and says, “A friend is coming over in a little bit to watch a movie.” 
“Oh, OK---HAVE YOU NOTICED THE CONDITION THE HOUSE IS IN?” I’m screaming in my mind.
His dad says right away, ”Well, you’d better start cleaning up then.”  That is a laugh.  The boy has just come in from playing basketball—you just know he’s going to have to take a shower if he plans on that “friend” (who **surprise** happens to be a girl) staying for more than five minutes. 
So even though I’m dead tired, I get up and start running around like crazy, doing dishes, cleaning the counter tops, wiping down the bathroom, shoving  clothes into the washing machine, straightening the pillows on the couches, and picking shredded paper, compliments of the puppy, off the floor.  Then I spot the mound of stuff off my desk and shove most of it into a bag which I tuck under my desk, and finish up by stacking on a shelf the books and magazines that have been lying haphazardly on the coffee table.  Phew—done.  That was a pain.  But I will say, the house looks tons better.   My goal is to one day be able to welcome people into my home at any time without first having to perform the above kabuki dance.

2 comments:

  1. That's familiar. Kind of anyway, it's really rare that anyone is on their way to my house at any given time. I have a plan this very evening to rush out of the office and to my house for a good going over before someone comes over to get their hair cut. It's amazing how easy and quick mess making is and how laborious and lengthy the cleaning up of said mess tends to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but you know what? It feels really good to have the house spruced up. It must have been in a state of disarray for a loooong time for it to feel so good just because the clutter is put away!

    ReplyDelete