Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Back Pain

Back pain stinks.  WebMD proclaims, “Back pain affects 80% of Americans at some time in their lives,” so I’m sure most of you have had some experience with it.   Ten years ago I had surgery to remove a fragment that landed on the sciatic nerve after a disc ruptured.  It took a while to heal, but I’ve done pretty well over time.  A few things will still irritate the nerves and muscles, however.  One of those things happened last night.  I sat on a couch in someone’s home for a couple of hours.  That sounds pathetic, doesn’t it?  The problem was my lower back wasn’t supported in the manner to which it has become accustomed.  Today I’m feeling it.  Boy it’s annoying.  And of course, this was a busy day with a lot of driving, shopping, standing in the kitchen cooking, and more driving.  There hasn’t been much time to relax those muscles and now everything in my lower back is annoyed.  The worst part is the pain makes me want to eat chocolate.  As we all know by now, chocolate has soothing properties.  That is until you step on the scale after overindulging in those soothing properties.  Then there’s more irritation and annoyance—they’re just not in the back anymore….

No comments:

Post a Comment